Simone de la Rue is the small but dynamic force behind Body by Simone. Personal trainer to Rosie Huntington-Whiteley amongst others, I chatted to Simone after the Women’s Health Sweaty Betty event a couple of weeks ago. During that chat and throughout the event, I picked up a few gems of wisdom that I just had to share with you all.
- She has a great sweat-proof mascara. She uses Lancome Hypnose waterproof mascara to avoid getting panda eyes when working out and sweating all day. Well, I had to ask her! She was as drenched with sweat as the rest of us but still had perfect eye make up. How could I not ask?! When I apologised for such a girly question, she just said, ‘Well, it’s important!’.
- She has a major weakness for chocolate. Especially Galaxy, which she always stocks up on when she is in London, as she can’t get it in LA.
- She lived in London (Crouch End!) for 5 years, before moving to the US 8 years ago. You can still pick up on traces of her Australian accent though.
- She HATES it when people leave class early. In fact, she says she finds it disrespectful to the trainer and to the other people in the class. I completely agree actually! You are disrupting the flow by leaving early. I hate when people jump off a spin bike and run out before doing the full cool down and clap. We are supposed to be in this together – that’s what group classes are about.
- She is dying to get back to London and open a Body by Simone. She just needs to convince the rest of her team and investors that London wants this. WE DO, SIMONE! She asked us whether people would pay £20 a class. Of course we would! That’s the cost of every other class in London, be it spin, yoga, barre, pilates or bootcamp! Should we start a revolution or something?!
- She is a firm believer in living a healthy lifestyle. She told us that fitness and weight loss is all about 80% diet and 20% fitness. You have to start with what you put in your body and how you look after yourself. This is definitely where I tend to slip up but I have been better recently and meeting Simone and seeing her boundless energy reserves made me realise that I can, and will, try harder!
- Women don’t need heavy weights. Simone doesn’t believe that women need to lift any weights over 1.5kg – high repetition with the correct form will get you arms like hers! Works for me.
- We need to do more cardio! Resistance and toning exercises are great, but to burn fat you need to run, cycle, swim or DANCE!
- We need to do resistance moves correctly. Otherwise, we are just wasting our time. What’s the point in flinging dumbbells around when all you’re really going to do is injure yourself. You certainly aren’t working the muscles that you’re targeting.