It’s the middle of January and all of those New Year’s resolutions and good intentions seem to be slipping further and further away. Stop! Let’s sort that out right now. Earlier this week it was Blue Monday, a day known to be the most depressing of the year: terrible weather, no more festive cheer, too long since last pay day, too long until next pay day, Dry January probably broken, gym membership not as exciting as it was two weeks ago – mainly because we haven’t lost the two stone yet or because work got too busy. Sound familiar?
Here are a few tips to help you to stay on track with your fitness goals:
- Be realistic. You aren’t about to become Jessica Ennis or Kayla Itsines overnight. Be realistic with the goal that you set yourself. Make sure they are challenging yet achievable and that the timeframe reflects that. Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that…
- Set mini-goals. A huge goal such as a marathon or massive weight loss can be extremely daunting. Break them down into bite-sized weekly or monthly chunks so that you feel like you are achieving more on the journey. Read more about my mini goals for 2016 here.
- Invest in good workout gear or equipment. I’m so glad that fit gear is in. It’s what I spend the most money on. I love treating myself to a good pair of running shoes, a new app or anything that helps me to achieve my goals because I WANT to wear it or use it. I recently asked for an arm strap for my iPhone for Christmas to help with my marathon training. It’s the little things.
- Drag a friend along. Two is always better than one. If you arrange to meet a friend a a certain time for a yoga class or a hike, you are so much more likely to keep that promise than one you made to yourself. So go on, arrange some healthy play dates now!
- Plan ahead. Make sure you always have healthy food in the fridge. Making something a little-more labour intensive? Make extra portions and pop in the fridge or freezer for later (later in the week – not the same evening!)
- Share your plans and your progress. If you shout what you plan to do from the highest rooftops or, you know, Twitter… then it will give you way more accountability. How embarrassing would it be to fall at the first hurdle (willpower) having announced to the entire world your plans for hardcore workouts?
The wonderful people at Workwear Express were kind enough to send me a little package of goodies to help me stay on track with my fitness goals, which I’ll admit were starting to wane as life took over and, wonderfully, many of them hit a couple of the points above. I now have pretty gym gear & accessories to make packing my gym bag even easier, plus a healthy sweet snack to keep those chocolate cravings at bay. My favourite part of the package has to be this awesome hoody – with my website on the back. Nice touch guys, nice touch.
How do you stay motivated to work out?
*This is not a sponsored post but I would like to say thank you to Workwear Express for the extra jazzy, mid-Jan kick up the bum!