Sometimes, brunch needs to be a little more exciting than something on toast. After a weekend morning workout, I like to cook up something really wholesome and filling – especially in the colder months. Inspired by my time living in Spain & Costa Rica, these spicy baked eggs take from the idea of huevos rancheros – spicy and satisfying.
Spicy Baked Eggs
1/2 red onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, crushed or grated
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1 can/cup pinto beans, cooked & drained (I used cannellini beans as a substitute here)
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 large eggs
Rapeseed oil with chilli
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
Salt & pepper to season
1. Fry the onion and garlic in a little chilli oil and spices.
2. Once browned, add the sliced pepper to the pan.
3. Follow this with the beans and stir quickly.
4. Add the tomatoes to the mix & season (watch the salt levels here if your beans were canned – you can always season to taste later on).
5. Once the mixture is fully heated through, spoon it into small individual ramekins, leaving a hole in the middle to break an egg into.
6. Break eggs into the ramekins over the mixture & bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for for 15-20mins or until eggs are cooked. (Gently shaking the dish to ensure they are firm works pretty well, as sometimes they look white but are still a little raw underneath).
I recommend serving with freshly sliced avocado on top (my favourite!)
Tip! I love adding diced chorizo to this dish to make it a little more decadent. You can also serve with a little toasted sourdough on the side.
I created the recipe as part of the #FitFoodBMF recipe book in association with British Military Fitness. You can download the whole book from the BMF website: #FitFoodBMF Recipe Book
(You may remember that the last time I collaborated with BMF, I got to work out with an Olympic athlete.)
*Thanks to my friend Sonal for playing photographer!