They say that dreams without goals are just wishes. In the same vein, I think that non-concrete goals are essentially just pipe dreams. Which is why I have decided to write a simple list of goals at the beginning of each month that will help me to focus on the bigger picture.
Here are my goals for September:
1. Lose 7lbs. Why? Because I’ve been yo-yoing all summer around the same 5lbs and I want to break the cycle this month.
2. Drink 2l of water a day. Why? I find myself forgetting to drink when I’m busy and then get headaches on the way home from the office. Plus, water is good for you.
3. Work out at least 3 times a week. This can be as simple as going for a run, doing a yoga DVD or just a simple home workout or long walk but I want to get my routine in place before winter draws back in.
4. Try a new recipe every week. I’m
in a bit of a cooking rut. I tend to just make soups and stir fries and simple things and I want to branch out. My plan is to try something new each week, possibly on a Sunday afternoon in my new, much bigger kitchen.
5. Write at least 2 freelance pieces a week and submit. This should be easy enough. I don’t need to pitch to editors I don’t know. I just need to get back on track now that the summer’s gone.
Want to do this too? It’s very simple.
So you want to lose weight? Write down that goal: ‘Lose Weight.’ Great! So does that mean that you’ll be happy if you only lose 1lb? Maybe not. Therefore, you need to be more specific with yourself. ‘Lose 5lbs’ is a more concrete goal. Or ‘Lose at least 1lb’ shows that you would be happy with a 1lb loss and if you do lose 2 or 3, then you’ll have surpassed your goal! Always question yourself when writing your goals, like What do I mean by ‘lose weight’?
It works in the same way for ‘Eat more vegetables’ or ‘Drink more water’. You can’t quantify what you are aiming for with these goals. Be more specific and you’ll find it a lot easier to know what you want. So they instead need to be ‘Make sure I eat my 5-a-day’ or ‘Drink at least 1l of water a day’ / ‘Replace one coffee run with a bottle of water’. Try writing some now and let me know how you get on!
What are your goals for September?
Let me know in the comments below!