Every now and then, I get ‘homesick’ for Spain. Though I only lived there for a year, but it was one of the best years of my life. I met my lovely boyfriend there. This week marked five years since I moved to Santiago de Compostela in Spain, as part of my university studies. Despite that fact that I found this a little depressing (where has the time gone?!), I also felt that I needed to mark the occasion, so I took advantage of an evening in and made a Spanish omelette. It’s a very simple tapas recipe, and relatively healthy if you go easy on the oil.
Tortilla Española Recipe
- 2 large potatoes, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5-6 eggs
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Slice the potatoes par-boil or fry in a frying pan in a little oil
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and soften the onions.Add the potatoes. Cook until soft.
- Mix the eggs in a bowl and season.
- Add the potatoes and onion mix to the bowl and mix together quickly.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan, heat and pour the whole mixture in as quickly as possible.
- When the omelette is almost set on the bottom side, use a plate to flip the omelette and slide it back into the pan for a minute.
Serve with chorizo or salad – or both! Enjoy!